Thursday, June 30, 2011

Laura Jane's Experience

Since Matt has had a chance to share his thoughts about bed rest and birth over the last few weeks, I thought it would be a good idea to share my experience of how our two little miracles came into this world.
For the past couple of weeks, my body was so sore and I had completely slowed down. I spent most of Monday morning sleeping. Sometime after 11:00, I felt the urge to go potty. When I sat down the blood gushed. For some reason I had my phone with me. However, I actually had to think about how to dial 911.
The 911 lady was very helpful, though half of the time I was thinking about the fact I hadn't showered, was still in my pajamas, and was trying to put the dogs in their back area. The 911 lady wanted me to stay on the line, but I needed to call Matt. He didn't answer and his office line was too frustrating to try and get the receptionist. Fortunately, Matt's co-worker called me and then gave him the phone. It wasn't long before the fire truck and ambulance showed up. They were followed very closely by our 80-something year old spit-fire of a neighbor wondering "Where's Lilly". The guys were all so nice and helpful. They weren't the typical "hot firemen" though. Oh well! On our way I called Mom and heard from Matt that he was already at the hospital.
I got to the hospital around noon and was quickly surrounded by nurses and doctors. Questions were coming from everywhere. I was apologizing for having not taken a shower and for having just eaten a snack and whatever else I thought I needed to apologize for. I wasn't too nervous since I knew I was in good hands. However, once my doctor silenced the nurses I knew I had already lost too much blood and he was ready to roll.
Dr. Mora was amazing. He let me hold onto him during the spinal that they had told me was going to really hurt. I had been told I could scream, cuss and swear, or whatever. I whimpered a bit as it didn't really hurt. But then it was over and I wondered why they thought it was supposed to hurt. I was told I was "quite the trooper" at that point.
The numbing sensation was really weird and cool until it hit my lung area. My anesthesiologist was amazing and made me feel so much better. I remember Matt coming into the room, but quickly started feeling like I couldn't breathe. I was given something that helped. However, I fell asleep or was just completely out of it and was not aware when our miracles were born. I did hear Talitha and I know I sent Matt to be with Wesley. I also remember Dr. Mora telling me I was now fixed. I believe I did a fist pump and said a big "Thank you." He said, "I've never received that exuberant of a thank-you before."
My babies were here and I was okay. I was pretty exhausted from carrying these two around and the drugs, but fine. I kept being told how impressed the nurses and doctors were with both of us. We were so calm and just went with it all. We never felt the need to panic.
I saw Talitha while I was in recovery before she was taken to NICU. But, I didn't get to see Wesley until much later that night when our wonderful nurse, Matthew, rolled me in there. I am still amazed at how beautiful they both are, and yet how different they are from each other. Talitha is still our aggressive one while Wesley just hangs out but doesn't want to be too far behind his sister.
It's also been fun to watch LilliAnne take on her big sister role. She really wants to stay with us at the hospital "until we come home". She has stayed at our house with grandparents and friends, but I think she is scared I'm going to end up here for a long time like when I went to Everett. She loves being in the NICU with the babies, has introduced herself to another mom in there (though Matt got scolded by the nurse for allowing her to talk to someone else), has gotten to hold both of the babies, and today was singing "Rockabye Baby" and a couple of other songs to them through the incubator doors. She also did "This Little Piggy" on Wesley's toes.
We are all looking forward to going home and starting our life together as the Randall 5.

1 comment:

  1. Finally getting to read through your blog! I love the comment about the firemen and apologizing!!! The fist pump was great with your doctor too! I love how your personality and spunk shines through even during the hard moments! I can't wait to meet these two beauties and see the trooper of a mama!

    ReplyDelete